CHALLENGE: Start Collecting Words
“Love words, agonize over sentences. And pay attention to the world.” -Susan Sontag –
In my pursuit of excellence, and learning from the best (la créme de la créme), I’m always on the lookout for interesting words and phrases.
Words can ignite a passion in your heart and a feeling of courage, strength and excitement – to push forward; to take action; do something new; do something you never thought was possible; and to even awaken your mind to a whole new outlook on life.
Whether it’s a quote someone said in the past, such as —
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” – Theodore Roosevelt –
“Do one thing every day that scares you.” – Eleanor Roosevelt –
(Man… I guess I’m really into Roosevelts…) Or maybe it’s a mantra, such as —
“Feeling great, looking good, ought to be in hollywood.” – Mark Divine: SEALFIT –
“I have everything I need, to succeed.” – Tim Ferriss –
Even just single words, or a couple words that can really rock my foundations and describe exactly what I’m feeling or what I’m after —
- Resolve to Fight.
- Your Attitude is a Decision.
- Unflappable when Challenged.
- Act Boldly, Live Boldly. (Ha Shameless Plug!)
- You may be in pain, but that doesn’t mean you have to suffer.
- Be Authentic; Be Reliable;
Words can inspire you no matter the medium – quotes, mantras, lyrics, speeches, phrases, articles – My CHALLENGE to YOU this week, is to start collecting words and phrases (if you haven’t already) and to start thinking about the words you want to live by. And then burn them into your brain, because you never know when you might need them.
- Find 1-3 words that you identify with. Something that either aligns with who you are, or who you want to be. Think on them often.
- Look for one quote from history that you LOVE. Memorize it, (and know who said it).
- Be inspired by someone’s lyrics. Find a song that gives you the feels. Listen to it on repeat!
- Let me know how your collection of words to live by is coming along! email me email@example.com or hit me up on twitter: @jwaggoner.
Have an idea for a CHALLENGE of the Week? Email me firstname.lastname@example.org.