Birthday Resolutions (Gold Star Goals)
Happy New Year
Yesterday was my 27th birthday.
(If life was Game of Thrones, it would have been my 27th Name Day)
For the past few years, I like to make my yearly goals on my birthday instead of the new year.
27 goals for my 27th year. (You’re crazy josh — you bet your 🌜ss I am)
Reflecting on What Was
2015 and 2016 were the best-worst years of my life. I feel like I hit rock bottom in more ways than one. (Finances, Health, Relationships, Energy.. I will be writing in-depth stories about these.) And as stupid as it sounds, I wouldn’t change a thing. (I know I said this in a previous post, as I’m reflecting on my past year, I think it’s good to reiterate important turning points in your life.)
My setbacks have realigned me to my mission of a Renaissance Life. (aka eat more chocolate) They’ve also given me the gift of humility, and the forethought of knowing what’s really important to me or not. (chocolate ✔️; everything else.. ?)
In 2015, the world was telling me no, and that came to it’s crescendo in early 2016.
Conscious or not, right then and there I decided to say yes to every opportunity that came my way. And I am not disappointed by that choice.
When the world says No, It's Time to say Yes +
Deciding on What Is
In 2017 will be the year of experience. I am going to try new things (different kinds of chocolate?), get into my discomfort zone, make BOLD Moves and experiment my way towards my goals.
Tangent: I am going to leave room for my goals to flex and change. (This hits one of the larger issues with New Year’s Resolutions by the way. We have this fixed ideas of who we want to be, but real life is not fixed. One goal today, could be irrelevant tomorrow. The key is knowing the underlying theme’s of what matters to you.) I want to challenge myself and see what I’m capable of, see what I can become.
I’m also not kidding myself in thinking I can do all of this at once (it’s not going to happen). Try and do everything and you eventually overwhelm yourself into doing nothing.
This year, I’m going back to elementary school (baby)! Each goal has a gold star value. Each goal will have a certain weight of stars behind it. The name of the game is to get as many stars as possible this year. I’m creating a large vision board with all my goals that I can stick stars on as I earn them. I'm making this up on the fly, so I'll be updating the goal star system as I go. (work in progress)
27 at 27
Here are my 27 goals in no particular order:
1. I will push my physical fears to the limit
- I will go hang-gliding (1 Star)
- I will skydive (3 Stars)
- I will run with my shirt off around town (5+ Stars)
2. I will interview 1000 creative people this year for my podcasts and for RenaissanceLife.com
- ( 1 Star per interview) (5+ each 25 interviews)
3. I will travel outside of the country. (3 Stars)
- 1 Star for every micro-adventure.
4. I will cultivate and cherish 25 excellent friendships.
- 5 Star for first date, 1 Star for following dates (Stars are doubled with weekly follow throughs / consistency).
5. I will Increase my income to 10,000 month (10 Stars)
6. I will take an Improv class (7 Stars)
7. I will Watch 1 TED Talk every day this year. (1 star per 5 days in a row)
8. Read Review and speak my goals aloud every day (1 Star each day)
- Gratitude Practice every day
- Affirmation Practice every day
- Visualization Practice every day
9. I Will Perform Music on stage
- 5 Stars for the first
- 1 Star per performance
- 3 Star every 5 Performance
10. I Will Release a Music EP (10 Stars)
11. I Will Write the first draft of my fiction book: Reflections (The Mirror Saga Book) (10 Stars)
12. I Will Write and ship an ebook: Be Your Own Renaissance (10 Stars)
13. I Will Make My Businesses Thrive:
- I will make boldsheep into a successful crafting company
- I will help grow Pass It Down to incredible heights
- I will help grow PaulCummings.com into an even greater influential brand
14. I Will Binge Read 8 Blogs (Ryan Holiday, Seth Godin, Tim Ferriss, Brain Pickings, James Altucher, Ramit Sethi, Pat Flynn, and Bill Gates)
- 10 Stars for Completely Reading them
- 1 Star per idea / blog / action inspired by readings
- Another star for doing the action yourself
15. I Will Master the Strategies of Finances
- Write and keep a track of finances every day (1 Star / 5 consecutive days)
- Invest (3 Stars x)
- Save (3 Stars x)
- Spend time learning finances (1 Star per hour)
- Spend time learning about bitcoin (1 Star per hour)
16. I Will Dance with Gabriella (1 Star each time)
17. I Will Go to Relationship Counseling with Gabriella (1 each time)
- Find Relationship Mentors (10 Stars )
18. I will Get FIT
- +5 lbs of Muscle (5 Stars)
- Flexible AF (5 Stars)
19. I will Read, Review and take Action on 100 books. (1 Star per review)
- Quality over Quantity
- Action over Speaking
- Practice what you Read
What does taking action on a book look like? (1 Star per Action Taken)
- Reflection Questions
- Action Steps
- Book Influences
- People to Reach out to for Interviews / Conversations.
20. I will build a Podcasting Empire (1 Star every podcast session shipped)
- (2 Stars per every consecutive week)
21. I will Blog every day (1 Star every consecutive day)
22. I will Design every day (1 Star every consecutive day)
23. I will Sketch every day (1 Star every consecutive day)
24. I will have fun and say yes to new experiences (1 Star per experience)
- Learn Tai Chi
25. Secret 1
26. Secret 2
27. Secret 3
— Josh Waggoner
Q: What goals are you pursuing right now?